La

Mon Feb 9 04:34:54 UTC 2009

Larry,

You miss my point. I am not saying that, in slow and careful speech--in your
wife's response in isolation--people will not use [a] instead of schwa. All
that I am maintaining is that, in normal-cadence speech, people reduce the [a]
to schwa because it is in unstressed position. This is just a normal rule of
English; there may be some variability in how reduced the vowel gets in an
individual's speech, but everybody reduces it. If they don't, it sounds
stilted--like pronouncing the second syllable of "secretary" as [i:] or the second
syllable of "torrent" as [ent].

Maybe the confusion in this thread arises because some people think that
other people have an underlying form with schwa rather than [a]. I doubt that this
is the case, since most Americans are enormously influenced by spelling (and
many of us, as you noted, are influenced by the foreign pronunciations of of
the underlying form as [a]). I think that what is happening here is that some
of the responders to this thread are reporting the underlying form as what they
"say," while others are reporting what they say in rapid speech as what they
"say."

The variablity that you report is, then, just an artifact of the inadequacies
of the data collection.