LaGuardia, La Bomba

Kari Castor castor.kari at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 9 17:38:34 UTC 2009

Regarding Lafayette:
I lived in West Lafayette, then Lafayette, IN for several years.  As I
recall, when I first moved there, I pronounced it 'lah-fie-'et (with the
main stress on the first syllable, middle syllable rhyming with "pie," and a
lesser stress on the final syllable).  This is still my typical
pronunciation when I am speaking more carefully.  By the time I moved away,
(some five years later), I believe my pronunciation in casual and fast
speech tended (and still tends) much more towards lah-fee-'et or lah-'fyet.

West Lafayette and Lafayette (which may as well be the same town aside from
being separated by Wabash River) are college towns.  West Lafayette is the
home of Purdue University; Lafayette sees a lot of spillover of the college
population.  It seems to me that the latter type of pronunciation was more
typical among the "townies," and perhaps Hoosiers in general.  My husband is
an Indiana native, and regularly pronounces it lah-fee-'et.

Kari