mangled messages

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 10 00:29:56 UTC 2009

Interesting. I tend to avoid web-based mail clients if I can help it. So
I use Thunderbird both on PC and Mac. I just checked all the messages in
the thread and found nothing unusual in them, except some
quoted-printable (end-of-line=20) problems. This is actually one of the
reasons why I avoid webmail.

On a different note, however, much of the email I receive from ADS-L
shows up oddly formatted. Rather, the *complete* lack of formatting is
apparently interpreted somewhere along the way as a particular kind of
formatting (i.e., fixed-width and other assorted niceties). So when I
reply, I must make sure that all formats are stripped *before* I send
the message *and* still send it as text-only. If one of the two is not
followed, html codes (and, especially, duplicated links) show up in the
received message. It happened a couple of times, which is why there was
a bunch of <p>s and other codes in the messages.

But this seems odd. In most list handlers, it's a matter of a couple of
flags on the server to allow HTML to go through. Unless, of course, it
is *undesirable* to have HTML formatting in the messages. So is it a
particular list-management software problem or is it just unwillingness
to adjust the settings? (Yes, I understand that allowing full formatting
may let in some undesirable things as well, so, not surprisingly, there
are lists in the universe that consciously make that decision. Which is
precisely why I am asking.)

    VS-)