Most common sound for words ending in letter "a"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 10 19:38:52 UTC 2009

At 11:16 AM -0600 2/10/09, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>And what nugget of wisdom are we to take away from this data?
>
>Scot

The generalization is not quite accurate as it
stands, either, however profound it may or may
not be.  Besides "ma", "pa" and other
monosyllabic exceptions to the generalization,
there would be instances of stressed final
syllables; "mama" and "papa" end in schwa if they
have penult stress, but /a/ if they're stressed
finally (more common with "papa", I'd think). I
pronounce "dada" with two /a/ vowels if I'm
referring to the art movement and ditto "tata"
('goodbye') and "caca" ('poop').  (Maybe there's
a subregularity affecting words derived from
baby-talk, where reduplication is more of a
factor than least-effort vowel reduction?*) In
any case, the mapping between orthographic final
a and schwa...oops, ~u/uh wouldn't be 100% of
polysyllables in a somewhat larger database.  Bla
bla bla.

LH, thinking that one application of
investigating such correlations would be building
a text-reader for the blind, or the lazy.

*and it extends to other cases of reduplication;
the Wawa chain of convenience stores in the
Northeast is regularly pronounced /'wa "wa/, not
/'wa w@/, where " indicates secondary stress.