Over 100 words for snow?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 11 17:07:10 UTC 2009

Geoffrey Pullum has shown that this claim is utter bullshit. BTW, are
you merely exaggerating for effect WRT "over 100 words"? I certainly
hope so, because, when I first heard this claim, ca.1950, it was that
the Eskimaux had *eight* words for various *concrete manifestations*
of snow," but *no* term for the concept, "snow," in the *abstract,*
such as exists in the languages of all civilized people.

A real thigh-slapper! These primitive languages are a hoot!

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain