All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

M Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Thu Feb 12 06:10:12 UTC 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 12:27 AM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> I foespel (phonetically spell) in truespel "sing" as ~seeng and
> "seen" as ~seen.  The "n" in "sing" is velar and the tip is the g
> (which is velar-ish too), whether its a strong or weak one.
> Take the words "ingot" and "ingrain".  They are foespeld ~eengit and
> ~ingraen.  It's as though the vowels determine whether the "n" is
> velar or not.

so if there's ever a case in which the phone [n] (as an actual
alveolar nasal) precedes the phone [g] you would have no accurate and
predictable way of transcribing it. any reader of your transcription
would be left to assume that [n] is velar, because your analysis
doesn't recognize the possibility that it's not. or are we to simply
hope that english never wanders outside friendly confines of your
analysis.

your system also leaves you unable to transcribe all the differences
between "hanger" and "anger" because your method of doubling
consonants would confuse the indicated stress.

i vote we stick with ipa.

michael