All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

David Bowie db.list at PMPKN.NET
Thu Feb 12 15:16:25 UTC 2009

From:    Neal Whitman <nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET>

> Ah, of course, the supposed [g] at the end of "sing". I knew there was a
> piece of Tom's reasoning I was forgetting. I should have waited for Larry's
> reminder to come through before I sent my message asking about
> "sin/seen/sing". Sorry.

I still don't understand how you get across that <singer> and <finger>
don't rhyme in Tom's system, since it's supposed to be a phonetic
system, which means that rhyming words should end the same, if i
understand it correctly. (I mean, *historically* the [g] was in both of
them, but it certainly isn't there in both of them any more.)

--
David Bowie                               University of Central Florida