"endorse" as medicalese for '(patient) report (symptom)'

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 13 15:51:58 UTC 2009

My sister, who is a medical transcriptionist, writes:

The use of the first verb below has been spreading like a fungus among
medical personnel, and it really bothers me.   I find it rather
perplexing and, having first heard it from ESLs, I refused to
transcribe it as such and reconfigured the sentences.  Have you ever
seen it used in such a manner?

   The patient does endorse recent headache; however, that was
resolved after fluid resuscitation.
<<<

Yuck. Unnecessary and confusing. Note her observational comment,
"having first heard it from ESLs".

Mark Mandel