autogol, 2d try

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 14 07:37:29 UTC 2009

At 9:45 PM +0000 2/13/09, Damien Hall wrote:
>Larry -
>
>>Just checking to see what other languages do, I came across these
>>renderings, whose accuracy I can't vouch for.
>>
>>SPANISH
>>

>>FRENCH
>>marquer
>>
>>These are pretty inelegant, but I do like "autogoal".  The
>>possibility for confusion (e.g. with a form of soccer played in or
>>by cars) seems less likely to arise than with "home goal".
>
>[...]
>
>This is what I got in your reply to my e-mail: no translation under
>'Spanish' and only _marquer_ (which just means 'score a goal' - any
>kind) under 'French'. Has our e-mail client not coped with what you
>sent, or did the original message you sent have bits missing too?
>
>All the best
>
>Damien Hall

Hmmm.  The message as it appears in my Out box looks like this:
=============
SPANISH

FRENCH
marquer

These are pretty inelegant, but I do like "autogoal".  The
possibility for confusion (e.g. with a form of soccer played in or by
cars) seems less likely to arise than with "home goal".

Self-goal? naaah
Suigoal?  well, maybe

But the one I got in my In box looks like the version Damien just
sent.  I don't think there was censorship involved, but I don't know
what was.  And I hope it works this time, although "autogol" is old
hat by now.

LH