All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "war n" > "worn")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 15 06:29:42 UTC 2009

At 7:08 PM -0500 2/14/09, RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
>Nonsense. Elementary contrary evidence is found in scores of minimal pairs,
>e.g., "thin" and "thing."
>Allophones by definition do not contrast in minimal pairs.

Ah, but we've been around and around that block with Tom Z., Ron.  He
"hears" a final /g/ in "thing", which thus conditions the shift from
alveolar to velar (or vice versa, depending on the day), besides
which he claims there's a phonemic vowel difference between the two,
although he concedes there isn't any for "sun" vs. "sung", but then
that's just a minor detail his system doesn't really need to worry
about).  Nothing we say is going to convince him otherwise.

LH