Wilson brags O.T.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 16 21:02:29 UTC 2009

According to my late stepfather, whose family is originally from
Arkansas and after whom my half-brother is named, his mother told him
that he was named after his maternal grandfather, Morris Cohen and,
she added, "They were married." He said that it was several years
before he caught on to why it was that his mother always added that
codicil.

We both wondered whether that could possibly be true. We finally
settled on the following theory.

Given that Jews, as well as blacks, occupy a peculiar, special
position in American, if not the whole of Western, society, it may
have been the case that the usual anti-miscegenation laws were not put
into effect to block the legal union of his maternal grandparents.

Of course, that story and the theory fail to answer other questions,
such as why Mr. Cohen's family wasn't opposed to the union on
religious, if not racial, grounds. The story didn't claim that the
maternal grandmother had converted. Furthermore, my step-father was a
semi-practicing Catholic, as are the rest of us. How did that come
about? And he never laid claim to any Jewish heritage beyond passing
along the story. And neither did his mother, for that matter. Indeed,
she didn't exhibit any kind of religiosity.

It didn't occur me to question my stepfather about his
pswaydo-Catholicism. I was, in those days, a serious, Jesuit-educated
practitioner of The One True Faith and there were certain questions
that I didn't care to have addressed, such as the fact that both he
and my mother were divorcees and not widows. So, how were they
claiming to be married in the eyes of Holy Mother Church?

You never really know, or sometimes, never even want to know, the
whole story of the skeletons in the family closet.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain