Surprise

Alison Murie sagehen7470 at ATT.NET
Tue Feb 17 18:15:35 UTC 2009

I've been noticing a strong tendency among (otherwise rhotic)
newsreaders & others on radio & tv to slight the first r in
"forward."  I probably do this myself in rapid speech, though in
deliberate or self-conscious  speech I would definitely sound the r.
My own rhoticity is so imbedded that I have a hard time pronouncing,
for instance, "Eeyore" as it was probably intended :"Eeyaw".
AM