making money hand over fist

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 18 07:35:01 UTC 2009

Here's my 2 cents:

I believe that technique for stamping coins has been used for a *very
long time* --  at least since Anglo-Saxon times -- in England. Given
that we don't see the phrase show up until the 1800s, and not
connected with money in the first instance, I think we can question
the History Channel's assertion.

Like Mark, I have a certain image that comes to mind with the phrase.
Not of ladders, but of rope. When you're hauling in rope (or paying
it out) very quickly, that hand motion.

---Amy West

[PS I have a known bias against the History Channel.]

[PPS This might be one for Dave Wilton to tackle on his word origins
site if he hasn't already. No, I haven't checked.]