Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 03:29:27 UTC 2009

OK.  There was a garbled message I sent due to a hotmail "upgrade" that changed me to rich text.  See some citations below.

Date :  Thu, 31 Jul 2003 21: 16: 24 -0000
There is a brain scan correlate of some forms of dyslexia.  Those with the same brain scan pattern, however, seemed to do fine in a transparent orthography such as Italian. That was the major finding of a study that was reported two years ago in the JSSS by Paulesu and Frith. Older study:
Paulesu, E. , U. Frith, M. Snowling, A. Gallagher, J. Morton, R. S.  J. Frackowiak, and C. D. Frith. (1996). Is developmental dyslexia a  disconnection syndrome? Evidence from PET scanning. Brain 119: 143-
157.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1225119.stm  “The main scientist behind the study, Eraldo Paulescu, suggested languages like English and French could be changed to make them easier for people to read.

also http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1225119.stm

see truespel.com

> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:07:30 -0600
> From: GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
> Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: "Gordon, Matthew J."
> Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"
>
> I must have missed your reply to the post in which your interpretation =
> of the dyslexia study from Science was challenged. I think this is one =
> that Ron had in mind with his comments.

Windows Live™: Discover 10 secrets about the new Windows Live.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!7540.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_ugc_post_022009