Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Scot LaFaive slafaive at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 22:04:18 UTC 2009

>So I'm wondering why so many academics enjoy using obscene or >scatalogical
terms in these "scholarly" postings.  I'm wondering if those who >ply their
rade in classrooms & libraries feel like they need to demonstrate >that they
are really pretty edgy.

Personally, I don't use vulgarity because I'm trying to look like a tough
guy. It's just my nature to use those words when I feel they express what I
want. I don't just throw them out (here anyway) willy-nilly; but I assumed
from other postings that we are all mature enough to handle the occasional
obscenity. I believe the so-called vulgar words hold a legitimate place in
language usage; I don't feel that they shouldn't be shyed away from when
they are exactly the word necessary for a given thought. I'm curious what
others have to say about the usage of obscenities and registers concerning
"adult" and "scholarly" conversation. Any other thoughts?

Scot