suffice(d) (it) to say

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 22 00:25:45 UTC 2009

Likewise.

Way back in the day, I overheard a conversation amongst the parental
elderly on this very topic. I likely would have forgotten about this
long ago, except that the conversation segued into a discussion of
"sacrifice."

We all know and agree that the verb is ['s&krI,fajs]. But, what about
the noun? Shouldn't that be ['s&krIfIs]?

As a practicing member of The One True Faith, in those days, I was
exceeding familiar with the phrase, "Holy Sacri[fajs] of the Mass," I
found the segue laughable.

Later in life, I tried to introduce "atrophy" ['&tr@,faj] as the verb
of "atrophy" [&tr at fi]. I failed. "Atrophy" is a word that, for all
practical purposes, is non-occurrent in casual conversation.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain