~ (UNCLASSIFIED)

Sun Feb 22 20:09:47 UTC 2009

Tom,
That;'s because all the local Standards are 95% similar (I'd put it a
little less, but not much) on a phonemic basis. Most of the
differences are on the sub-phonemic level.  The consonant systems,
phonemically, are nearly identical all over the US, for instance.
The vowel systems do differ phonemically, but not much with this kind
of variety--your "awe-dropping", rhoticity vs. non-rhoticity (only a
few non-rhotic or, more likely, variably rhotic newscasters, but
those that are, Walters, King etc. are known for it) .  Some lexical
incidence differences appear in individual words, though this is the
stuff that the pronunciation guides concentrate on.  I'll give you
actual stats when I'm finished if you want to see them.  You'll be
surprised.

Paul Johnston