"momanem" at the Oscars

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 23 04:00:27 UTC 2009

At 10:39 PM -0500 2/22/09, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:
>At the Oscars, Will Smith (raised in West and Northwest Philadelphia) just
>introduced the category of sound mixing with the following:
>
>"Sound mixers have been called the superheroes of post-production -- and not
>just by their momanem. Other people say it too."

...and I'm still wondering if the producer of Wall-E, who accepted
the award for best animated feature and expressed his gratitude as
follows (more or less):

  I'd like to thank [whoever] for creating a studio where only a film
like Wall-E could be made.

--meaning, it would seem, that it was the only studio where a film
like Wall-E could be made--was just committing an error of unplanned
speech (the old "Help, I've locked myself into a syntactic box and
can't get out!" situation) or if he really meant it.

LH