Correction: unrounded [u] versus "barred-i"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 25 19:18:17 UTC 2009

Thanks. WRT to Russian, [barred-i] and [y] are typically used to
represent its high, back, unrounded [u], historically and, according
to some generative phonologists, underlyingly, a long /u/. But, IIRC,
no one has claimed IPA-equivalence or even general phonetic exactitude
for either of these representations. It's usually just a matter of
typographical convenience for whoever is writing or printing the text.

IAC, the local pronunciation of Worcester is a little unexpected. In
like manner, my PA in-laws always get a laugh out of my
Saint-Louis-ized  pronunciation of the Wilkes-Barre borough of Forty
Fort as "Farty Fart." (The name commemorates the fact that, back in
the day, forty colonists built a fort there.)

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain