Oldest words in English?

Thu Feb 26 16:37:04 UTC 2009

Either the TIMES reporter was totally inept, or Dr. Pagel knows very little
about language. The article is filled with nonsense. For example, the article
says in effect that the English numerals and the pronoun "I" would have been
intelligible to persons alive 10,000 or more years ago. This is obvious
nonsense. The English numerals and pronouns were not even pronounced 1000 years ago as
they are today. Moreover, the article seems to suggest that, just because
modern languages use pronouns, any language that uses pronouns must be
historically related. This is ridiculous, whether you are a Chomskyite ("pronouns are
wired into the human brain") or a Skinnerite ("pronouns are so useful that
people would be likely to invent them if their language didn't have them").

Of course, it IS true that "By comparing these languages, it is possible to
work out how and when they diverged, and to trace the evolutionary history of
individual words." But this is scarcely news. Linguists have been doing that
for 150 years. AMERICAN HERITAGE dictionary used to publish a supplement
containing ProtoIndoEuropean roots. But no one has ever claimed that the first humans
spoke PIE.

In a message dated 2/26/09 4:07:32 AM, wordseditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG writes:

> The BBC ran an item this morning on research into the oldest words in the
> language, picking up a story in The Times:
>
>   http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7911645.stm
>   http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article5805522.ece
>
> "Dr Pagel has recently been able to track the evolutionary history of Indo-
> European back almost 30,000 years, using a new IBM supercomputer. He said
> that some of the oldest words were well over 10,000 years old."
>
> Is much known to anyone on the list about the methodology involved?
>

> --
> Michael Quinion
> Editor, World Wide Words
> E-mail: wordseditor at worldwidewords.org
> Web: http://www.worldwidewords.org

Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
neighborhood today.