Ethnic-based terms of contempt

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 27 03:46:45 UTC 2009

Wilson Gray wrote:
> I don't know that this was ever a term of contempt, but, in my younger
> days, people spoke of the "Texas fif(th)," a full quart of whiskey, as
> opposed to the usual 4/5 quart normally referred to as simply a
> "fif(th)."
>
> "Running on CP (colored people's) time" = "running late" was also
> quite common, in BE at least, back in the day.

Funny, when I was in college (early 70s), we used to refer to this as
"Jewish time".

> Back in the '80's, I used to hear "nigger box" and read "ghetto
> blaster" used for "boom box." More recently, there's "reggin (_nigger_
> spelled backward) weed" used for poor-quality mariguana.

I first heard the term "ghetto blaster" in the mid 80s, from a colleague
who was ordinarily the sort of person who would have gone out of her way
to avoid terms with potentially disparaging subtext.

Alice Faber                                       faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963