"Soldier"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 17:36:35 UTC 2009

It is not literally accurate, but synecdoche sez it's A-OK.

Objections to the usage in this sort of generalized context are not
linguistically based.

In *theory*, "marines," "sailors," or "airmen" would do just as well, but
English hasn't developed that way.

Homer Simpson: "Marge, I agree with you -- in *theory.* In *theory,*
Communism works. In *theory.*"

JL