pron. of just

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 28 04:16:12 UTC 2009

comments below.

see truespel.com

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Herb Stahlke
> Subject: Re: pron. of just
>
> Tom,
>
> The first vowel of 'linguistic" and the third in "dirigible" are not
> the same.

I agree but it was thee who said they were the same sound.

> That of "linguistic," while not the /i/ that I think you
> suggest, is not a reduced vowel either. The third vowel of
> "dirigible" is reduced.

Reduced means unstressed I assume.

> Reduced vowels in English typically become
> schwa, but surrounding consonants can modify that, as the
> palato-alveolar africate /dZ/ does in "just" (adv.) and "dirigible,"
> raising the schwa to barred-i. The distinction between the two sounds
> is real, but it is allophonic here.

Nope. Two different phonemes.

> Your use of "oo" before the final /l/ of "dirigible" also reflects a
> faulty assumption on your part, that there is in fact a vowel in that
> syllable. Final unstressed /l/ in English is typically syllabic, that
> is, it is the vowel and final consonant of the syllable combined.
> There is no oo or schwa or any other vowel before it.

Syllabic "l" is not a good concept.  A syllable needs a vowel.  Also if you add a suffix you might need that vowel.  For instand cannibalize.  It's not pronounced cannablize.  But a "syllabic l" would wipe out the vowel that is necessary there.  Syllabic l is bad concept that is worthless.

> Your sense that
> the vowel oo occurs there probably arises from the fact that
> syllable-final /l/ is velarized, that is, the back of the tongue is
> raised in the same gesture that produces the vowel of "put," which you
> write as oo. What you're doing is interpreting an allophonic feature
> of final /l/ as a vowel, a misunderstanding of what's going on
> phonetically.

I don't think the vowel in "put" or "pull" is velarized at all.

> I understand that you've trained yourself to listen closely to sounds.
> The problem is that you've trained yourself and so have not benefited
> from someone who really is expert in hearing, distinguishing, and
> teaching the sounds of English and other languages. You would benefit
> from a course in phonetics, as well as an intro to linguistics.

I've seen quite a bit of it on the internet, with voice as well.

> As to the words below, MW.com follows a common convention of using
> schwa in more than one way. MW makes no distinction between the two
> vowels of "sofa" or "abut" on the widely accepted premise that schwa
> is the unstressed allophone of inverted v.

The new thing is the ability to "hear" the words spoken in the internet dictionaries.  Therefore unstressed vowel phonemes can be determined rather than schwad.

> Further, instead of using
> syllabic consonants in "her" and "bottle" they use a vowel before the
> consonant, namely, schwa.

That's so much better than the "syllablized consonant" idea.

> For a readership unfamiliarwith syllabic
> consonants, that's a reasonable solution even if it's not phonetically
> accurate.

If it's not accurate why is it reasonable?  Not good.

> As to the first pronunciation of "forehead," remember the
> nursery rhyme

Actually ~faared doesn't rhyme with ~horid

http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Same_022009