Song Lyrics Appearing First as Poems

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 28 12:15:57 UTC 2009

I hope I will be forgiven exploiting the general knowledgeability of people on this list with a query that has virtually no relevance to linguistics.  I recently read that the lyrics of Leonard Cohen's 1967 song "Suzanne" appeared earlier as a poem in a 1966 book of his.  Are there other examples of well-known song lyrics that appeared earlier as poems?  I am not talking about well-known poems that were also made into songs, but rather about texts that are usually thought of as songs but were actually first poems.

Fred Shapiro