Million Words?

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Mon Jan 5 06:07:53 UTC 2009

The OED defines the words more amply; it gives for "charlatan' "An
assuming empty pretender to knowledge or skill; a pretentious
impostor" and for  'quack', after the first sense of a medical
imposter, "2. In extended use: any person who dishonestly claims to
have special knowledge or skill in any field; = CHARLATAN n. 3." Seems
like a fit to me.

Geoff Nunberg