Further Antedating of "Googol" and "Googolplex"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 5 21:04:09 UTC 2009

I verified this from the original source.

Fred Shapiro

googol (OED 1940), googolplex (OED 1940)

1937 Edward Kasner in _Scripta Mathematica Forum Lectures_ 70  You may want to know where I got the name "googol."  I was walking in the woods with my nephew one day, and I asked the boy to think up any name for the number, any amusing name that entered his head.  He suggested "googol."  At the same time, he gave me a name for a still larger number: "googolplex."  A googolplex is much larger than a googol, but it is still finite.