FW: Slice on Boston pizza article from 1903 ---(message from Barry Popik)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Jan 6 14:19:07 UTC 2009

Barry has been sharing information with several ads-l members, and I now forward one of those messages to ads-l.
As I've commented before, his research is extensive and enormously valuable.
G. Cohen

________________________________

From: Barry Popik [mailto:bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Tue 1/6/2009 12:08 AM
To: RobtNadeau at aol.com
Cc: ASmith1946 at aol.com; jester at panix.com; bgzimmer at gmail.com; sclements at neo.rr.com; Cohen, Gerald Leonard; Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil; fred.shapiro at yale.edu
Subject: Slice on Boston pizza article from 1903

FYI, the pizza blog "Slice" published my letter. The Boston Phoenix could publish the entire Boston Journal article--1903 is public domain stuff.
I'm not taking sides on this one, Boston or New York. I did solve the origins of the names "Big Apple" and New York "Yankees," but I also researched the origin of "Green Monster." And I've moved to Texas!
Barry Popik
Austin, Texas (Home of the, ah, #3 Texas Longhorns football team)
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/01/dear-slice-boston-may-have-had-the-first-pizza-in-the-us.html

Dear Slice: Boston May Have Had the First Pizza in the U.S.

Posted by Adam Kuban <http://www.seriouseats.com/user/profile/Adam%20Kuban> , January 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM
Clicking in to the Slice inbox today, we've got ...
Dear Slice, Letters From Our Readers <http://slice.seriouseats.com/tags/Dear%20Slice> GenealogyBank.com (a subscription service) has been adding the Boston Journal. I went through it and found the following long, i nteresting article <http://www.genealogybank.com/gbnk/newspapers/doc/v2:11CE74B6F9A6E5CC%40GBNEWS-11ED87966657CBC0%402416392-11ED879747E898E0%4035/>  [subscription required] on pizza, from 1903. This is two years before Lombardi's establishment opened on Spring Street in New York City, the so-called first pizzeria in America.
A similar, 1905 article from the New York Sun <http://www.loc.gov/chroniclingamerica/ndnp:265523/display.html?n=0&scope=fulltext&pageNum=1&currentSort=&mode=list>  about pizza on Spring Street is on the Library of Congress website, FYI. Both articles spell it pizze.
-Barry Popik <http://www.barrypopik.com/>

P. S.: I just added a post <http://barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/pizza_margherita_pizza_margarita/>  on Pizza Margherita.
Dear Barry,
Thanks yet again for some great research. I love getting these emails from you because they're almost always packed with some sort of nugget of newly unearthed historical information.
As someone who has adopted New York as his home, I'd have to say that 1905 is reportedly the first instance of a pizza license, which doesn't mean Lombardi's wasn't making pizzas prior to applying for the license. I would choose to believe this, just so that New York could keep its historical pizza supremacy over Boston as well as its ACTUAL present-day pizza supremacy.
Thanks again for the intel.
Hasta la pizza,
Adam