Antedating of Teddy Bear(s) 1905

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Tue Jan 6 23:04:57 UTC 2009

Sam,

Nice one!  I had tried for 30 years to find a pre-1906 citation for _Teddy bear_, without success.

Fred Shapiro

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sam Clements [SClements at NEO.RR.COM]
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 6:59 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Antedating of Teddy Bear(s) 1905

Fred is the master on this one.  I just got lucky with a wonky search engine over at Newspaperarchive.

>From the _Post Standard_ Syracuse NY  20 Nov. 1905  9/2

[An advertisement for D. Mccarthy & Sons( Department store), specifically the section about their Toyland]

   [quote] "Teddy" bears holding little cubs in their arms like real mothers are the latest arrivals; be sure to see them; see all other things as they come along, but most are already here.[/quote]

Sam Clements