more on prepositions

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Jan 7 15:00:00 UTC 2009

        "Hate on" seems to come from, or at least to have been
popularized by, rap, gangsta rap in particular.  Google Groups has it
from 7/14/1996:

        "First of all, you need to chill with your player hating on
people
who're being critical of Nas.  Your not doing your own argument an
ounce of good by going ballsictic on peeps."

        "Ballsictic" presumably is just a typo, but I rather like it.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Arnold Zwicky
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 9:26 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: more on prepositions

an intransitive "hate", mentioned in a comment on languagehat's blog

   http://www.languagehat.com/archives/003363.php

[snip]

and a speculation about its social distribution:

For some reason, I ... thought "hating on" was an entirely African
American expression.

Posted by: Nijma at January 6, 2009 07:38 PM .....

No one has mentioned it explicitly, maybe because it's obvious, but
"hate on" is AAVE AFAIK. Earliest usage example I could find was in Dr.
Dre's "Forgot about Dre", recorded in 1999. It seems basically to have
originally meant "be jealous of", although I'm sure there's nuance I'm
missing. (Hard to believe Dre is 43.)

Posted by: komfo,amonan at January 6, 2009 11:13 PM .....

(also some discussion of "hit on" vs. "hit", suggested by phonological
similarity to "hate on" vs. "hate" -- though there's no semantic
relationship.)

arnold