Pentagon tells soldiers, "We have ways of making you talk"

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed Jan 7 17:39:09 UTC 2009

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

Pentagon tells soldiers, "We have ways of making you talk"

The Pentagon has ordered all its soldiers to reveal what foreign
languages they speak.. . .

The motto of today's army is "never volunteer" (numquam evocati), and
the order to divulge this mission-critical linguistic information came
after fewer than 10% of the troops in the all-volunteer army filled
out a voluntary survey to determine how many of them speak a foreign
language.

Alarmed by the poor turn-out, the Secretary of Defense ordered all
active and reserve troops to complete the language survey by March 15
– even if they only speak English. . . .

soldiers identified as being especially proficient in the key
languages of Iraq and Afghanistan will be eligible for foreign-
language pay bonuses and immediate deployment to the war zone of their
choice.

Those refusing to take the survey will be offered . . . .

read the rest of this post on the Web of Language: http://illinois.edu/goto/weboflanguage
____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics