Forteh: UK pronunciation

Thu Jan 8 18:06:24 UTC 2009

I just heard the president of the American Dialect Society say "for-tay"
------Original Message------
From: Laurence Horn
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Forteh: UK pronunciation
Sent: Jan 8, 2009 9:09 AM

At 11:32 AM +0000 1/8/09, Damien Hall wrote:
>Benjamin Barrett said:
>
>'As has been discussed here before, the forteh pronunciation is apparently
>considered standard by most Americans.'
>
>I'm loath to rehash old discussions that are already in the archives, but I
>can't remember this one, nor can I find it by searching the archives (I'm
>sure it exists, but it's difficult to know what search-term to use; I used
>'forteh' and only came up with the present discussion.

It might have been in threads discussing the "fortay" or "for-tay"
pronunciation (vs. "fort").  I'm not sure I'd have used "forteh",
which looks as though it should end with an open /E/ sound.  It's
really a question of bisyllabicity vs. mono-.  I grew up mostly
hearing "fortay" and at some point I consciously switched to "fort"
once I realized it was a French loan and not an Italian, Spanish, or
Latin one.  I hear both in the U.S., but usually the bisyllabic
version.

LH

P.S.  I tend not to pronounce it at all unless I'm reading someone
else's prose, because it's not quite a homonym with "fort", having
more of a pronounced final -t, while the one in the defensive (or, in
this season, snow) building is unreleased.