"No law west of..."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 11 00:33:09 UTC 2009

I stand corrected as to the first appearance of "law west of the Pecos."
Here's a slight antedating of the variant including El Paso:

1943 C. L. Sonnichsen _Roy Bean: Law West of the Pecos_ (N.Y.: Macmillan)
73: Yes, the Pecos country still looks the same, but people no longer say,
as they did then, "West of the Pecos there is no law and west of El Paso
there is no God."

JL