"power"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 13 00:29:26 UTC 2009

Since this isn't a political discussion group, I'll say only  that the
enlargement of executive powers (plural) since 1789 is not just a belief but
a fact.

However, the notion that the American President's increased powers as chief
of state and commander-in-chief somehow justifies an identification with the
unlimited discretionary power of unelected tyrants and dictators like Saddam
Hussein is, to say the very least, a non sequitur. Simplest distinction: the
U.S. still has a functioning Constitution guaranteeing due process, among
other things.  Myanmar, for example, a military dictatorship, does not.

JL