Re" "he" and "he or she"/ Congress becomes gender-neutral

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Tue Jan 13 17:54:40 UTC 2009

What's most interesting in the shift away from the generic masculine
is that he or she has become the new prescriptive formula, drilled
into schoolchildren by their teachers with no real mention of gender
inclusiveness -- the "essentialist" political goal of gender
neutrality didn't really work after all (look what's happened to Ms.,
which became the new Miss).  Instead, as we might expect in schools,
we've just moved from one rule to another, with the focus still on
correctness rather than social change. Remember, too, that the epicene
pronoun (at least congress has spared us that) was first proposed in
the 19th c. to correct a grammatical problem: generic he may agree in
number, but it doesn't meet the gender requirement for pronoun
agreement.

____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics