INGs

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 13 21:20:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu> wrote:

> so the OED recognizes the variant with -ing only on the final element,
> but not (of course) the spellings "too" and "frow".

Actually "too" for "to" was a common enough variant spelling in the 16th and
17th centuries, and is attested in many examples in the entry for "to".  I'm
sure I've seen it myself in manuscripts of that period.

I can't find "frow" as a variant spelling in the OED, but to resolve that it
would be better to look in a lot of early sources.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China