"bring her to Limerick" 1862 and Limericks

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Jan 14 15:17:51 UTC 2009

Well, I wrote on Jan. 11:
The HDAS definitions of "come to Limerick" work, but, based on more uses,
the phrase may have also meant "come to a conclusion" [perhaps like "do a
Limerick," "make like Limerick"] or, originally, "settle" or "surrender."

So I guess we agree on the "surrender" sense.

Stephen