"Limerick stanza" 1896 image

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Wed Jan 14 17:29:29 UTC 2009

Barry Popik mentioned on ads-l (old archive) an early reference to "Limerick
stanza" and quoted some lines from the page. I have a pdf image of the page,
with Limericks and dialog about them. I'll try to send an attachment if anyone
is interested (if so write me offlist).
Judy, or the London serio-comic journal, [cf. Murray's
guess on a London weekly] June 24, p615,
JUDY'S LITERARY KETTLEDRUM
Guest of the Hour: The G. O.M. (Retired).

If "come to Limerick" means "surrender," the supposed chorus "Will/won't you
come to Limerick?" may be related to Limerick/nonsense verse contests.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson