social = 'social networking'

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Fri Jan 16 00:48:30 UTC 2009

On 15 Jan 2009, at 04:28, Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

> "Social" is evidently being used by the digerati as a noun meaning
> "social networking" or some such:
> [snip]

Shortly after seeing your post, I came across another example.
Probably the recency illusion (or primed selective perception).

This is from my Twitter feed, and the poster is Nate Koechley, a
software engineer. He posted about an impressive picture of that A320
plane crush in Hudson river; the picture had been posted to the site
Twitpic, which promptly went down. Nate then took a screenshot of the
Twitpic page and posted it to his own Flickr stream, and could watch
impressive numbers of hits arrive on that page. His Twitter posts
(tweets) about it:

> 1000 views in 6 minutes of people standing on the plane wings: [URL
> snipped] (http://twitter.com/natekoechley/status/1122030161)
>
> 1k in 7 minutes. Next k in 4 minutes. Glad everybody is safe! (http://twitter.com/natekoechley/status/1122042258
> )
>
> third 1000 in 3 minutes. Hello, Social.  (http://twitter.com/natekoechley/status/1122051394
> )

Not sure if he'd be happy to be called a digerato though.

Cheers,

Chris Waigl

--
Chris Waigl -- http://chryss.eu -- http://eggcorns.lascribe.net