Is That an Emoticon in 1862? in NYT

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 20 01:14:13 UTC 2009

Joel, I think if you look closely at the databases you'll see it was  very
 common in those days to leave a space before a semicolon - or a question
mark or an exclamation mark for that matter.

Books published before ca1910 often put a space in the "middle" of
contractions too, e.g., "did n't."

JL