"the google" noun was Re: Re: Word of the Decade Nominations Open for 2000-2009

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Tue Jan 20 14:27:51 UTC 2009

And there is this, along the lines of the Doonesbury strip:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/google_launches_the_google

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Benjamin Zimmer
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2009 7:10 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "the google" noun was Re: Re: Word of the Decade Nominations
Open for 2000-2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Amy West <medievalist at w-sts.com> wrote:

> This jogged my memory: this past week, on the 16th, there was a
> Doonesbury where Roland Hedley uses Google apparently as a synonym
> for the Web or the Internet: "Sir, according to my research on the
> Google, you've already been judged a failure."
>
> http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/index.html?uc_full_date=20090116

I take that as simply a mocking reference to arthrous "Google", as famously
used
by our outgoing President:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/10/23/bush-says-he-uses-the-google/
"One of the things I've used on the Google is to pull up maps."

Discussed by Arnold Zwicky here:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005096.html

More recently we've had a similar example of improper arthrousness from Mike
Duncan, one of the candidates for RNC chair:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/law.ars/2009/01/06/we-have-to-do-it-in-the-f
acebook
"We have to do it in the Facebook, with the Twittering, the different
technology
that young people are using today."

--Ben Zimmer