stepgrandparents and relational ambiguity

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Jan 22 12:56:02 UTC 2009

In Elizabethan English (and other dialects), the specifiers "step-," "half-," and "-in-law" can disappear, much to the confusion of present-day students (as in the deadly riddle told at the beginning of Shakespeare's _Pericles_).

Of course, kinship terminology as it relates to conceptions of "family" is a long-standing interest of anthropoligists.

--Charlie