If U Seek Amy

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 23 09:04:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Randy Alexander
<strangeguitars at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Benjamin Zimmer
> <bgzimmer at babel.ling.upenn.edu> wrote:
>> What to make of the song "If You See K" by R[eginald] Spofforth,
>> listed in the _Catalogue of the Allen A. Brown Collection of Music in
>> the Public Library of the City of Boston_ (1916)?
>>
>> http://books.google.com/books?id=MEAQAAAAYAAJ&q=if-you-see-k
>>

>> --Ben Zimmer
>>

> That's a hard call without at least seeing the lyrics.  Anyone in
> Boston feel like making a trip to their fine public library?  It's a
> great place.  I spent many happy hours there as an undergrad.  Their
> music collection is fabulous.
>
> In the meantime, I contacted a BPL librarian (they have a 24hr chat
> service).  She couldn't find anything yet, but said she'd get back to
> me by email.
>
> According to WP, Reginald Spofforth died in 1827, so if he was
> deliberately playing on FUCK, that would be quite an early use.

Here's the call number:

No. 24 in M.430.1.32
If you see K. Catch [for three voices]. (In Catch Club.
Original manuscript collection. Vol. 31, p. 49.)

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China