stepgrandparents and relational ambiguity

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Jan 23 15:32:46 UTC 2009

I completely disagree. Very, very few crimes are "ambiguous" in legal
contexts. The crimes are all explicitly defined in excruciating detail by
statute. There may be ambiguity in the popular usage of "murder," but none
at all in legal contexts. There are lots of ambiguous legal terms, but
vanishingly few of them in the criminal code.

I would say the examples of different terms for types of killings are all
examples of the lack of ambiguity in the term "murder." These other crimes
are all degrees where premeditation is involved to a lesser extent and the
term "homicide" in these cases appears to be replacing "manslaughter" rather
than "murder." And the modifier in "felony murder" (a killing committed
during the commission of another felony) distinguishes it from classical
murder, where the killing is explicitly premeditated. The term "murder" is
being reserved for the most heinous of killings, exactly the opposite of
ambiguity.

A good example of an ambiguous crime is in the impeachment clause of the US
Constitution, "high crimes and misdemeanors." ("Misdemeanor" had a
different, more serious, sense in the 18th century than it does today.) This
was discussed on ADS-L and elsewhere during the Clinton impeachment, so I
won't go into detail, but there is no consensus or conventional wisdom on
what constitutes a "high crime" or a "high misdemeanor," or even if the
clause refers to "high" misdemeanors as opposed to ordinary ones. This is
true ambiguity.