antedating "three kinds of falsehood...statistics" June 8, 1891

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sat Jan 24 10:03:06 UTC 2009

Thanks. I see I neglected to mention the letter writer. And the rest of the
citation is issue 6.134 beginning on p.93 col. 2 (with the quotation),
continuing on p. 94 col. 1, and ending on col 2. It's signed by T.
Mackay. Given the subject matter I guess this is Thomas Mackay
(1849-1912), social theorist and writer on just such questions. Mackay did not
claim to originate the three kinds observation. I guess that Robert Giffen
(editor, economist, statistician, 1837-1919) was correct when he said in a Jan.
1892 talk published in June 1892 (refs. in ads-l archive, my emphasis):  "An
old jest runs to the effect that there are three degrees of comparison among
liars. There are liars, there are outrageous liars, and there are scientific
experts [traced to Dec. 1885 in the archives]. This has *lately* been adapted to
throw dirt upon statistics. There are three degrees of comparison, it is said,
in lying.  There are lies, there are outrageous lies, and there are
statistics." It remains to see who said it first. The "it" is probably not in
the exact form that Twain ascribed, incorrectly, it appears, to Disraeli
(1804-1881), since the "fib, lie" version came before the "lies, damned lies"
version. C. W. Dilke ([1843-1911] whose papers are in the British Library) is
one likely suspect.

Stephen