Heard on The Jud es: "bartend(e)ress"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 25 19:37:54 UTC 2009

At 2:27 PM -0500 1/25/09, Bill Palmer wrote:
>How is "waitress" regarded? or "Priestess"?

See previous note on "waitress"--the question is regarded by whom?
As for "priestess", it evokes a different job description from
"priest".  A female Episcopal priest (there are such, right?) is not
a "priestess", who is in the AHD4's words 'a woman who presides over
religious rites, especially in pagan religions'.

>has the "-ix" ("avaitrix", "administratix") suffix completely disappeared
>from usage?

Largely, maybe because they're tricky to pluralize--and to spell! ;-)

LH