ACTRESS vs. WAITRESS

Sun Jan 25 21:05:47 UTC 2009

But there is a difference between what one might prefer and actual usage. If dictionaries & style manuals are accurate, ACTRESS is still widely accepted, whereas WAITRESS is increasingly avoided as "sexist."

-----Original Message-----
From: Kari Castor <castor.kari at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:56:08
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] Heard on The Judges: "bartend(e)ress"

This is one of my pet language topics.

As an actor myself, I do reject "actress," just as I also reject "authoress"
as a writer.  For me, the gender distinctions made by these words are
unnecessary and meaningless.

My gender has absolutely no bearing on my ability to write.  And really, my
gender has absolutely no bearing on my ability to play Hamlet, either.  In
theatre especially (as opposed to film and television) gender-bending is
really quite common.  Male actors play female characters, female actors play
male characters, scripts are written with characters of both sexes but
intended for a wholly male or female cast...  Peter Pan is traditionally
played by a woman.

If I call myself an "actress," it's as though I am limiting myself to a
certain subset of the roles available.  I have no desire to impose those
artificial limits on myself.  (After all, I know that casting directors will
be imposing plenty of their own limits on the types of characters I get to
play.)

Kari