Heard on The Jud es: "bartend(e)ress"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Jan 26 16:56:03 UTC 2009

At 11:14 AM -0500 1/26/09, Baker, John wrote:
>         The former, but not in the way you might expect.  Latin testis,
>witness, is the etymon of testator, testimony, testify, testis,
>testicle, and related terms.  There are multiple theories as to how a
>legal term came to have a physiological meaning.
>

>John Baker

Right; there are these nice stories--probably just that--about
witnesses (males only, females need not apply) clutching their
genitalia (instead of crossing their hearts and hoping to die) to
commit themselves to truthful testimony.  As far as how a legal term
came to have a physiological meaning, one natural assumption is that
"testis" in the latter sense developed as a euphemism for the "real"
Latin word for the relevant body part--but what would that have been?
Note that "ball" is a similar kind of euphemistic replacement, a
transfer from a general, non-sexual domain, but again, there's no
term that isn't a borrowing (testicle) or a conventionalized
euphemism (ball) that would constitute the "real" and presumably
taboo term, the way "fuck", "ass/arse", "cunt", etc. are in their
respective domains.  Same holds for "penis", of course.  Someone must
have written on this, but I don't know who.

LH