What is The Judges Site?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 27 15:40:06 UTC 2009

No such site, in reality. There are the Judge Judy, Judge Penny, Judge
Greg, Judge Joe, Judge Whoever shows on daytime basic cable. I refer
to them collectively as The Judges, since, for our purposes, it
matters not who the judge is. Ninety-nine point forty-four per cent of
the people who appear on these shows are ordinary people speaking in
the manner that they speak at home. They come from all parts of the
country and from all races, colors, creeds, national origins, sexual
orientations, and levels of education and income, ranging from
semi-literate black country folk and white backwoodsmen to Harvard
professors. Hence, there's no telling when you're going to hear
something possibly or actually of interest here. I.e., a white man
saying that he was pissed off _behind that_, the emphasized phrase
being typically used only by black speakers; a black man exclaiming,
_Jesus Christ!_, something that, once upon a time, was *never, ever*
done by black speakers, who tend to take the admonition not to take
the name of the Lord, understood as being "Jesus Christ," in vain as
an absolute. For some reason, it's pretty much the only Commandment so
honored.

In other words, it's possible to do a certain amount of "field work"
from the comfort of one's own living room.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain