N-looking

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 28 14:24:39 UTC 2009

Thanks for the powerful support, Wilson.  My impression (which will you get
you a cup of supermarket coffee if you add a buck-fifty and tax) is,
however, that such uses are indeed becoming more common.  Certainly in my
experience they have been rare in print, except in very colloquial dialogue.

There's also the question of distribution.  "Some hippie-looking guy" sounds
100% normal to me, but "He was kind of hippie-looking" only about 90%.  Same
for "A lizard-looking alien" vs. "The alien was lizard-looking."

Single-syllable nouns sound stranger, though real-world experience plays a
role: "A fish-looking alien" sounds a little less strange (because pop
culture has prepared us for fishy space-guys and -gals) than "Some
fish-looking guy" or "Some fish-looking buffalo," which is harder to
imagine.

The acceptability level may have something to do with how easy it would have
been to use an adjective instead, specifically one ending in -y or in -like.

In Wilson's example, "King-Kongy" strikes me as nearly (though not quite)
impossible, and "King-Kong-like" pedantic. Both, BTW, would be less precise,
which is probably one good reason why the construction first appeared and
continues to spread.

JL