"rough around the ages"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 29 04:00:16 UTC 2009

At 9:03 PM +0000 1/28/09, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>If this were just a spelling mistake based on supposedly homophonous
>age/edge then one would also find "sharp age sword" and "two years
>of edge."
>I'm not finding that.

Not the latter, which you wouldn't expect because the phonological
shift doesn't go in that direction.  As for the former, I do find a
number of "double-aged sword" hits, with the 'double-edged' meaning.
Hundreds more for "double-age sword" without the -d, and with various
metaphorical meanings, none involving age.  And one lonely "twin-aged
razor".  You can also bid for a valuable Thracian bronze dagger with
a double-aged blade.  All meanings possibly relevant here.

>And the phonology seems unlikely.

Really?  It's not *my* phonology, but tensing here doesn't seem that wild.

LH